The University of South Australia MBA is offered through UniSA Business School and has been designed as a highly interactive and flexible program with an international focus.
UniSA was established in January 1991 with the merging of some of the state’s oldest educational institutions. Today it is South Australia’s largest university and a leading provider of professional education across core professions such as nursing, teaching, engineering, architecture, journalism and business.
The MBA is among a small group of MBA programs in Australia to have been awarded a 5-star Graduate Management Association of Australia (GMAA) rating for eight consecutive years, meaning you’ll graduate with a life and career changing qualification, recognised and respected by industry for its excellence.
Recently it was the most youthful Australian educator to be named in the top 50 of the Times Higher Education’s Top 100 global universities aged under 50. They pride themselves on being research focused and for designing programs with strong industry partnerships.
The programs have proved so successful that more than 90% of graduates go on to full-time work within four months of completing their degree. Apart from also ranking highly on QS world-ranking charts, their MBA program is one of only three to have held a five-star rating from the Graduate Management Association of Australia for five consecutive years.
Flexibility is a hallmark of the program, with the MBA available on campus in Adelaide and online around the world. About 250 students are studying the MBA at any one time at UniSA’s City West Campus on Adelaide’s famous North Terrace, in the heart of the CBD.
The on-campus MBA courses usually run for a full, ten-week study period. So you can better balance study around your work and personal life, classes are held in the evenings between 6pm and 9pm. We also offer some courses in intensive modes, allowing you to fast-track your studies. Unless advised otherwise, all classes take place at UniSA’s CityWest campus, North Terrace, Adelaide.
You can study your MBA completely online, or mix it up a little with some on-campus and online courses. Regardless of where in the world you are, the online option gives you the chance to expand your network across the globe.
You can expect to:
- respond to lecture notes and questions
- reflect on responses from fellow students
- participate in group discussions
- complete individual and group work assignments
- solve problems with fellow students from anywhere in the world
- apply theory to your own work environment
- spend approximately 15 hours per week on each course, including private study time
You will not be expected to attend physical classes, but you are welcome to do so.
University of South Australia MBA Program Structure
The UniSA Business School MBA is a 12-course program with three different formats to choose from. These formats have been designed so that you can tailor an MBA to suit your career and business needs.
|1||General Management MBA||Ten core courses, plus two electives|
|2||Specialised MBA||Ten courses, plus two specialisation courses|
One course runs for the length of a study period. Our academic year is divided into four study periods, each of 10 weeks. Study periods commence in January, April, July and September each year and you can choose to commence your MBA in any of these.
Full-time students are generally encouraged to undertake two courses per study period, while part-time students are encouraged to undertake one course per study period. As a guide, part-time students taking one course per study period can typically complete a 12-course MBA in three years. Read our Overseas Intensives page to see how you can fast track your MBA and gain credit for two electives.
While studying full time will normally take you 18 months, you can fast-track your study and complete the full MBA program in just 12 months.
Compulsory core courses are:
- Accounting for Decision Making
- Managerial Finance
- Structure, People and Change
- The Law for Managers
- International Business
- Strategic Marketing
- Ethics, Governance and Sustainability
- Responsible Leadership
You can also choose two elective courses from a range of approved elective courses offered by the school, or approved courses in other postgraduate programs.
You can choose from one of 3 capstone options available
MBA (Specialisation option)
This option is for business executives who are targeting a career change or who intend to stay in a specialist industry sector.
You can study a specialised MBA in:
Applicants will need:
- A minimum of three-years full-time management experience (including experience in supervision and financial management) and a recognised university undergraduate degree or equivalent professional qualifications; or
- A minimum of seven-years full-time management experience (including experience in supervision and financial management) and either a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration from the University of South Australia (with at least a pass), or an equivalent qualification from the University of South Australia or from another university; or
- A Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from the University of South Australia across at least four courses (with an average of at least a pass), or an equivalent qualification from the University of South Australia or from another university, and a minimum of five years full time relevant work experience.
All applicants are also required to submit two referee reports and a detailed curriculum vitae outlining management experience.
Minimum English proficiency requirements apply.
University of South Australia MBA Fees*
Domestic students: $45,000 (Indicative fee of $28,800 for one year study. 1.5 years to complete.)
International students: $52,950 (Indicative total fee on website)
* Information from fees is sourced from publicly available information in November 2016 and may not be reflective of actual costs. Current costs per subject/unit/course may change in the future, altering the overall cost of the degree. Consult course providers for fee confirmation.