The University of South Australia MBA is offered through UniSA Business School and has been designed as a highly interactive and flexible program with an international focus.
UniSA was established in January 1991 with the merging of some of the state’s oldest educational institutions. Today it is South Australia’s largest university and a leading provider of professional education across core professions such as nursing, teaching, engineering, architecture, journalism and business.
The MBA is among a small group of MBA programs in Australia to have been awarded a 5-star Graduate Management Association of Australia (GMAA) rating for nine consecutive years, meaning you’ll graduate with a life and career changing qualification, recognised and respected by industry for its excellence.
Recently it was the most youthful Australian educator to be named in the top 50 of the Times Higher Education’s Top 100 global universities aged under 50. They pride themselves on being research focused and for designing programs with strong industry partnerships.
The university’s MBA programs have proved so successful that more than 90% of graduates go on to full-time work within four months of completing their degree. Apart from also ranking highly on QS world-ranking charts, their MBA program is one of only three to have held a five-star rating from the Graduate Management Association of Australia for five consecutive years.
Flexibility is a hallmark of the program, with the MBA available on campus in Adelaide and online around the world. About 250 students are studying the MBA at any one time at UniSA’s City West Campus on Adelaide’s famous North Terrace, in the heart of the CBD.
Top 12 Reasons To Choose UniSA MBA
- 5-STARS FOR EXCELLENCE – 5-star ratings from the Graduate Management Association of Australia (GMAA) and the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) rankings, 2015.
- TOP 10 MBA IN AUSTRALIA SINCE 2007 – Australian Financial Review BOSS Survey 2007 – 2016.
- #4 MBA IN AUSTRALIA FOR GRADUATE SATISFACTION – 91% overall satisfaction (CEQ trend, 2011-2015).
- #7 MBA IN AUSTRALIA FOR VALUE FOR MONEY – Australian Financial Review BOSS Survey 2015.
- REAL-TIME IMPACT – Informed by industry to address real-world scenarios, the UniSA MBA delivers an education that can be applied in the work place immediately.
- INVALUABLE INDUSTRY NETWORKS – Access a diverse network of professionals and industry leaders in the classroom and exclusive networking seminars and events.
- MORE THAN $100M INVESTMENT IN FACILITIES – Including the state-of-the-art Jeffrey Smart Building, the Pridham Hall and the new Business School Hub in the refurbished Yungondi building (commencing construction in 2017).
- CUTTING EDGE RESEARCH – The curriculum is informed by research ranked ‘Above World-Class’ in Business Management and Marketing in the 2015 Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) rankings.
- TOP 75 UNIVERSITIES FOR INNOVATION – One of only six Australian universities named in the Reuters list of Asia’s top 75 universities for Innovation.
- SOUTH AUSTRALIA’S LARGEST UNIVERSITY – And ranked 25th in the QS World University Rankings for institutions under 50 years old in 2015.
- TOP 1% OF BUSINESS SCHOOLS WORLDWIDE – UniSA Business School is ranked in the top 1% worldwide as 1 of 9 institutions in the country and 163 globally to be accredited by EQUIS the EMFD Quality Improvement System.
- FLEXIBLE LEARNING OPTIONS – Offering face-to-face, online and mixed-modes of study, our digital MBA learning platform enables the MBA to work for you and your lifestyle.
UniSA MBA Program Details
The on-campus MBA courses usually run for a full, ten-week study period. So you can better balance study around your work and personal life, classes are held in the evenings between 6pm and 9pm. They also offer some courses in intensive modes, allowing you to fast-track your studies. Unless advised otherwise, all classes take place at UniSA’s CityWest campus, North Terrace, Adelaide.
You can study your MBA completely online, or mix it up a little with some on-campus and online courses. Regardless of where in the world you are, the online option gives you the chance to expand your network across the globe. You can expect to:
- respond to lecture notes and questions
- reflect on responses from fellow students
- participate in group discussions
- complete individual and group work assignments
- solve problems with fellow students from anywhere in the world
- apply theory to your own work environment
- spend approximately 15 hours per week on each course, including private study time
You will not be expected to attend physical classes, but you are welcome to do so.
The UniSA Business School MBA is a 12-course program with three different formats to choose from. These formats have been designed so that you can tailor an MBA to suit your career and business needs.
|1||General Management MBA||Ten core courses, plus two electives|
|2||Specialised MBA||Ten courses, plus two specialisation courses|
One course runs for the length of a study period. Our academic year is divided into four study periods, each of 10 weeks. Study periods commence in January, April, June and September each year and you can choose to commence your MBA in any of these.
Full-time students are generally encouraged to undertake two courses per study period, while part-time students are encouraged to undertake one course per study period. As a guide, part-time students taking one course per study period can typically complete a 12-course MBA in three years. Read our Overseas Intensives page to see how you can fast track your MBA and gain credit for two electives.
While studying full time will normally take you 18 months, you can fast-track your study and complete the full MBA program in just 12 months.
Compulsory core courses are:
- Strategy and Management Research
- Accounting for Decision Making
- Managerial Finance
- Structure, People and Change
- The Law for Managers
- International Business
- Strategic Marketing
- Ethics, Governance and Sustainability
- Responsible Leadership
You can also choose two elective courses from a range of approved elective courses offered by the school, or approved courses in other postgraduate programs. Students can choose from one of three capstone options.
MBA (Specialisation option)
This option is for business executives who are targeting a career change or who intend to stay in a specialist industry sector. You can study a specialised MBA in:
AICD Company Directors Course
Offered in a unique partnership with the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) as an approved elective of the UniSA MBA curriculum, the Company Director’s Course is designed to help you develop your skills and further your career and will strengthen your understanding of the principals and practices of good governance.
This dynamic and well-recognised course will equip you with specialist knowledge that will support your ability to manage more effectively. It will also provide you with the skills to advise boards, join boards, and to better understand the contribution of high functioning boards, to an organisation’s success.
On successful completion of the assessment, members of the AICD may be eligible to use the GAICD graduate post nominals.
International Study Tours
The UniSA MBA opens doors to new possibilities and experiences through a range of intensive study-tours and exchanges. The opportunity to travel with leading academic staff and your MBA colleagues, will provide you with first-hand knowledge of the international business environment and develop your ability to identify the opportunities and challenges in conducting international business.
Business in China Intensive School
This two-week study tour, offered in partnership with leading international business school, Peking University, travels to China, where students gain first-hand knowledge of the Asian business environment. Students will develop the ability to identify the opportunities and challenges of conducting successful business in China and craft effective strategies that can be implemented to capture opportunities and overcome obstacles for successful ventures in the region.
European Summer School of Advanced Management
The UniSA Business School is part of an international consortium of outstanding business schools from around the world that organises the European Summer School for Advanced Management (ESSAM). This two-week study tour has been established to give 100 MBA students an intensive experience of international business consisting of lectures, workshops, a consulting project and company visits. ESSAM has previously been hosted in London, Glasgow and Copenhagen and offers a unique opportunities for MBA students to work together and explore the future of business in an international environment.
Applicants will need:
- A minimum of three-years full-time management experience (including experience in supervision and financial management) and a recognised university undergraduate degree or equivalent professional qualifications; or
- A minimum of seven-years full-time management experience (including experience in supervision and financial management) and either a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration from the University of South Australia (with at least a pass), or an equivalent qualification from the University of South Australia or from another university; or
- A Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from the University of South Australia across at least four courses (with an average of at least a pass), or an equivalent qualification from the University of South Australia or from another university, and a minimum of five years full time relevant work experience.
All applicants are also required to submit two referee reports and a detailed curriculum vitae outlining management experience. Minimum English proficiency requirements apply.
University of South Australia MBA Fees*
- Domestic students: $45,000 (Indicative fee of $28,800 for one year study. 1.5 years to complete.)
- International students: $52,950 (Indicative total fee on website)
UniSA Business School is committed to addressing diversity gaps in leadership, helping grow the talent pipeline and fostering positive economic growth.
With the Women in MBA (WiMBA) and Aboriginal MBA scholarships, UniSA works in partnership with employer organisations, with each party funding 50% of MBA tuition fees. Under this partnership arrangement, all student tuition fees are covered.
This partnership opportunity has great advantages for organisations, aiding in staff retention, and bringing knowledge from MBA projects direct to your workplace.
An investment in an MBA scholarship at UniSA Business School, ranked in the Top 1% worldwide, is a statement that your organisation is serious and action-oriented about equality, now and into the future. Together, the UniSA Business School is working with employers to enable those with leadership potential who are underrepresented, to advance their careers into senior management and executive roles.
Scholarship applications are open now, to commence UniSA Business School’s 5 star MBA program in April 2017. For more information visit:
* Information from fees is sourced from publicly available information in November 2016 and may not be reflective of actual costs. Current costs per subject/unit/course may change in the future, altering the overall cost of the degree. Consult course providers for fee confirmation.