The Deakin University MBA is one of the most highly regarded in Australia. Renowned for its flexibility and industry connections, it’s designed for busy professionals seeking career development while balancing work and lifestyle commitments.
With an average cohort of about 250 students it has relatively small class sizes of about 16. It was ranked 11th in the 2017 AFR Boss Ranking of MBA courses.
“The Deakin MBA integrates fundamental business principles with sophisticated analytical skills to enable managers to make well-reasoned and evidence-based business decisions. The aim is to equip managers with an integrated view of business – in order for them to formulate strategy and to identify the organisational functions and activities needed to implement that strategy. At the heart of Deakin’s MBA is sound business knowledge, networking and professional development, and skills for today’s business professional.” Dr Colin Higgins, Director, MBA Program Deakin University.
The Deakin MBA was first offered in 1981 and has been running for over 30 years. I
A feature of the MBA is the flexibility of study modes. Students can study on-campus or on-line, full-time or part-time, and select one-week intensive residential units or international study tours to China, India, Indonesia, Europe and the United States of America.
With a long history in distance and on-line education the well-developed Cloud teaching and learning facilities allow students to interact with students and staff nationally or internationally. All students are business professionals and they value the opportunity to build professional networks while gaining insight into the realities of national and international business.
Deakin University MBA Program Structure
There are 12 subjects – totalling 12 credit points – to complete for Deakin’s MBA program, delivered over three trimester periods, which start in March, July, or November. Eight of the subjects required are core units.
- Business Process Management
- Economics for Managers
- Accounting and Analysis for Managers
- People Management
- Principles of Leadership
- Marketing Management
- MBA Strategy Capstone
Students can undertake 4 units from one specialisation or 4 electives from the range of specialisations listed below:
- Arts and Cultural Management
- Business Analytics
- Business Consulting
- Corporate Governance
- eBusiness and Supply Chain Management
- Environmental Sustainability
- Financial Planning
- Health and Human Services Management
- Human Resource Management
- Insurance and Risk Management
- International and Community Development
- International Trade and Business
- Project Management
- Property and Real Estate
- Public Management
- Research Project
- Retail Management
- Strategy and Planning
The capstone unit engages students in a real-life, complex business situation. It provides an integrative learning experience to enhance and extend the knowledge and skills gained in the core MBA units, and it enables students to address the issues that confront today’s managers in a dynamic organisational environment.
The Deakin MBA and MBA (International) can be completed in 1.5 years at full time at Deakin University’s Burwood Campus in Melbourne. It is also available in ‘off-campus’ mode which is exactly the same course as an on-campus student, except students receive comprehensive study materials and support.
Deakin University MBA Accreditation
Deakin is one of the three Australian MBA courses to have EPAS accreditation through the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD).
Deakin University MBA Entry Requirements
Deakin University offers admission to postgraduate courses through a number of Admission categories. In all categories of admission, selection is based primarily on academic merit as indicated by an applicant’s previous academic record.
All applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements.
Entry will be based on performance in:
- a Bachelor degree in any discipline and three years relevant work experience* OR
- a Graduate Certificate in a related discipline and five years relevant work experience* OR
- a Graduate Diploma equivalent (professional pathways)
All applicants must provide the following with their application:
- current CV
- current contact details of two referees who can be contacted concerning your work experience
- a one page brief outlining why you believe that your work experience would be valued by your MBA peers
Must be in a managerial or professional role. Applicants must demonstrate decision making responsibility in a range of areas such as budgeting, staffing, project management, financial management, or other relevant professional experience
Deakin University MBA *Fees
The 2018 annual cost for full-time study is $33,720 for domestic students. If completing full-time over 1.5 years, the indicative full-course cost is $50,580.
Deakin University MBA Application Process
- Domestic students must apply directly to Deakin University through the Applicant Portal
- International students can either apply through the Applicant Portal, by mail or email, in person at Deakin University international offices in Australia, India, China or Indonesia, or through a Deakin University international representative.
- Website details or where to go: https://applicantportal.deakin.edu.au/connect/webconnect
* Current costs per subject/unit/course may change in the future, altering the overall cost of the degree. Consult course providers for fee confirmation.