The Australian Graduate School of Management (AGSM) at the University of New South Wales Business offers innovative, experiential, world-class programs designed to equip a new generation of leaders to thrive in an accelerated world.
Based in Sydney, Australia, the AGSM @ UNSW Business School’s globally ranked MBA programs are taught by internationally recognised academics and Executives-in-Residence from leading corporate and government organisations. Students are immersed in active learning experiences and are exposed to practical skills and tools they can immediately apply to real world business problems.
The AGSM partners with some of the world’s leading graduate schools and offer both short term, intensive exchange programs and traditional full semester exchanges for students looking to gain an international perspective and create a well-rounded MBA experience. While studying, students develop a professional network by gaining access to other businesses, government organisations and not for profit leaders.
The University of New South Wales (UNSW) is one of Australia’s most prestigious universities. Located in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, it is recognised for its successful graduates and its commitments to ongoing research. It is ranked highly in the QS World University Rankings (45th in the world and 4th in Australia) and is a member of the Group of Eight universities in Australia.
MBA Rankings and Accreditation
The MBA programs at AGSM regularly achieve strong rankings and currently holds the following:
- Ranked amongst the world’s elite top 100 of graduate schools of management – Annual Financial Times (UK) 2018 Global MBA Ranking
- Number 8 in Asia Pacific and 37th globally – 2018 QS Global EMBA Rankings
- Number 44 globally and within the top 10 executive education open program providers in the Asia Pacific region – The Financial Times 2018 Executive Education Rankings
- Number 1 MBA Online program in Australian and in the Asia Pacific Region – The inaugural QS Global Online MBA Rankings
As part of UNSW Business School, AGSM is EQUIS accredited with the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). AGSM programs also hold international accreditation from AACSB International, the premier accrediting agency for bachelors, masters and doctoral degree programs in business and accounting..
It is also accredited by AACSB and EQUIS ensuring the the highest learning outcomes. All this means that graduates have a much better chance of employment, with research indicating most of their alumni receive financial payback in just over three years of completing the program.
Full-time, on-campus MBA Program Structure
The standard MBA offered will be completed full-time, in 16 months, at UNSW’s Randwick campus in Sydney. There are two stages to the program, including a core and elective phase. Altogether there are 16 courses to complete – at six credit points each – totalling 96 credit points. Additionally, the first core subject covers the foundations of management in a three-week intensive course. This is followed by nine other core subjects.
The core subjects are:
- Foundations of Management
- Economics in Management Practice
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Corporate Finance
- Data Analysis and Statistical Modelling for Business
- Marketing Management
- Organisational Behaviour
In the second phase, students are required to complete seven electives over two sessions. This provides participants an opportunity to customise their MBA to suit areas like accounting, finance, economics, marketing, organisational behaviour, statistics and operations management, or general management.
During stage two, students may also apply to go on an international exchange program at one of AGSM’s partner schools in Europe, North America and Asia.
Online MBAX Program Structure
The AGSM online MBA – called MBAX – can be completed in two to six years studying part-time and offers specialisations in the following fields:
- Change – designed for managers and executives who need to understand how to manage successful organisational change.
- Finance – for experienced managers and professionals working in a broad range of industries who are interested in expanding their career choices with in depth business and finance expertise.
- Social Impact – for managers and professionals working in the not-for-profit sector, or in social impact roles in the corporate sector.
- Technology – for those interested in expanding their career choices with in depth business and technology expertise.
Each specialisation includes six core courses and which can be chosen from nine different offerings and then a number of specialist courses. Overall, students are required to achieve 72 Units of Credit.
The MBAX suite of programs is undertaken entirely via interactive online classes through the intuitive communication tool: Moodle. Online classes do not require facilitators and participants to be online at the same time, it is asynchronous, enabling contributions to discussions at a time of personal choice.
AGSM MBA (Executive) – Part Time
The AGSM MBA (Executive) is a part time program which is typically completed in a 3.5 year period but can be completed in anywhere between 2.5 to 7 years. A unique part of the program is the intensive residential cohort experiences, such as the mandatory Executive Blueprint which is recommended to be completed at the start as a way to set the platform for the remaining learning experience.
Stage One of the AGSM MBA (Executive) requires students to complete four core courses and three electives. The core courses include:
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Marketing Management
- Managing People and Organisations
- Corporate Finance
Students must complete Stage One with a minimum average result of 65% before progressing to Stage Two, which is an ‘Executive Agenda’ eleven month program. The experiential learning stage sees students complete the following core courses:
- Strategic Leadership
AGSM MBA Entry Requirements
To apply for the AGSM MBA (Full Time), you will need either:
- A strong undergraduate degree (or equivalent qualification), minimum GMAT score of 550, and a minimum of 2 years professional or managerial work experience, or
- At least 6 years professional work experience and a minimum GMAT score of 550.
- For more information on GMAT and specific requirements view the application checklist.
There are also minimum English language requirements.
AGSM MBA Fees*
Approximate tuition fees for students commencing their full-time AGSM MBA in 2018 will be AUD$84,000 while the online MBAX programs are $42,545. Tuition fees are charged per UOC according to the subject classification (course identifier). Tuition fees are charged on a semester basis irrespective of when studies are commenced.
* Information on fees is sourced from publicly available information in January 2018 and may not be reflective of actual costs. Current costs per subject/unit/course may change in the future, altering the overall cost of the degree. Consult course providers for fee confirmation.