The University of Newcastle is continuing to improve on its reputation as top MBA provider. In 2013 they recorded the biggest improvement for an Australian university in the global rankings. This placed them within the top 3% of tertiary educators on the Times‘ Higher Education World University rankings and the QS top universities under 50 years old list.
The University of Newcastle’s MBA, delivered through the Newcastle Business School, focuses on skills required for business marketing, organisational behaviour, accounting and finance, and strategic and project management. The course provides grounding in fundamental business areas as well as critical, problem-solving and practical skills that are essential for today’s managers. It has been designed to be flexible and is available from a range of campuses, or via an integrated online learning platform.
“The development of knowledge and skills begins as soon as students join the Newcastle Business School. We host an orientation program to introduce University life and acquaint students with academic standards. The University provides student mentors, duty tutors, and academic skills support to help students reach their potential” University of Newcastle Business School Dean Professor Morris Altman.
University of Newcastle MBA Program Structure
The course is offered through the university’s Newcastle and Singapore campuses. It is also offered through the Sydney campus, but students must complete a section of the course online. Alternatively, students can choose to study the entire program online, or combine online and campus studies.
The program consists of 12 subjects – accounting for 120 credit points – delivered over four full-time time periods, or part-time equivalent. Students can start the course at the beginning of any of the teaching periods, beginning from February, 2014. Included in the subjects are eight core courses and four directed courses, which can be chosen from a specialisation, or the Directed Business Theory and Practice courses.
The core courses include:
- Managing Under Uncertainty
- Foundation of Business Analysis
- Organisational Behaviour and Design
- Marketing Management and Planning
- Human Resource Management
- Strategic Management
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Corporate Governance and Social Responsibility
Areas of specialisation include Applied Finance eBusiness; Human Resource Management; or International Business Marketing.
There is also the option of completing double degrees in applied finance, human resource management, international business, information technology, or marketing. A graduate certificate is also available.
University of Newcastle MBA Entry Requirements
- 3 year Bachelors Degree in the discipline; or
- 3 year Bachelors Degree not in the discipline + 1 year relevant business experience; or
- At least 7 years business experience, including 2 years in a management position
Students entering via this pathway are able to complete 4 courses per trimester, and are able to complete courses in any sequence they wish, that is consistent with course prerequisites. Applicants with an Honours degree in the cognate area or equivalent relevant qualifications at level 8 or above will be given appropriate recognition of prior learning.
The alternate pathway is through the Graduate Certificate (40 units) which will be available for applicants who have:
- 3 year Bachelors Degree not in the discipline; or
- 3 year Diploma in the discipline; or
- 3 year Diploma not in the discipline + 1 year relevant business experience; or
- 2 year Diploma in the discipline + 2 years business experience; or
- 2 year Diploma not in the discipline + 3 years relevant business experience; or
- At least 5 years business experience.
Students entering via this pathway will be required to:
- Complete the Graduate Certificate over a minimum of two trimesters (typically 20 units per trimester); and
- Successfully complete a Business Academic Skills Program (BASP) which will be of 6 weeks duration. The BASP will be non-fee based and can be completed concurrently with courses in the Graduate Certificate.
University of Newcastle MBA Fees*
Domestic fees: $34,600 (Based on $2,573 fee per subject)
*Information for fees is sourced from publicly available information in November 2016 and may not be reflective of actual costs. Current costs per subject/unit/course may change in the future, altering the overall cost of the degree. Consult course providers for fee confirmation.